Are you building something very big? Something that will stand out? The Special Exhibitor Program encourages builders to create bigger, more detailed MOCs that will wow the public attendees. We’re looking for very big, impressive MOCs — cityscapes, castles, towering towers or landscapes — anything that you can dream up and build! To support you, we’re offering some special benefits to make it easier for you to build your models, transport them to the convention, and/or attend the convention in the first place. These benefits are applied on a case-by-case basis, and are only awarded to a few exceptionally large and impressive creations.
Some (but not necessarily all) of the following possible benefits may be awarded to applicants:
- Free attendee registration to the Bricks by the Bay Convention.
- Free hotel lodging.
- Reimbursement for expenses (e.g. truck rental or gas costs for bringing MOC(s) to the event).
All benefits awarded as part of the Special Exhibitor Program are subject to approval as set forth below under “Selection Process.” Not all applicants will receive all or any of these benefits. The determination of which, if any, benefits will be awarded is within the sole discretion of the reviewing committee.
In addition, all approved applicants will receive a “Special Exhibitor” badge brick and be invited to order parts from LEGO’s Convention Support Program:
- LEGO Parts at bulk prices: Choose from a wide array of current parts, and place a bulk order alongside the parts we use to construct badges, event kits, workshop kits, etc. You will be charged our cost to order and sort the parts. Note: we will likely receive the parts only a week or two before the convention, so do not expect to have them in time to build the creation with them; instead, think of this as a jumpstart for your next big creation (for next year?).
- Are you feeling lucky? You will have the opportunity to order a Play Brick Box (PBB) — A 25-pound box (16 x 11.5 x 19.5 inches) filled with “pre-packed” element bags which have come from various LEGO sets of differing theme and price for approximately $150. Box contents are random and no exchanges or returns are permitted; you could get parts from an awesome set or just a bunch of wheels. These are limited by LEGO; no more than 45 orders can be made.
- Ordering of bulk LEGO bricks and PBB boxes is subject to availability and the LEGO® (AFOL) Convention Support Program guidelines.
Obligations of Exhibitors
If approved, special exhibitors must agree to the following:
- Bring the approved MOC(s) to the convention.
- Submit images of the MOC(s) in time for, and with permission for them to be used in, marketing materials to attract people to the Public Exhibition and Convention. At least one image must be submitted prior to the deadline (TBD) to be considered for bulk LEGO or PBB ordering privileges.
- Agree to sit/stand with their MOC(s) for a substantial portion of the Public Exhibition Hours to answer questions from the public, give demonstrations, etc. (*)
- Consider giving a workshop or presentation during the convention portion of the weekend.
If you do not live up to these obligations your benefits may be revoked.
* Exhibitors whose volunteer responsibilities at Bricks by the Bay interfere with this requirement, or those with social anxiety or similar issues, may be excused from this requirement.
To be eligible for these benefits, an attendee must submit the following information:
- Detailed MOC description(s).
- Photographs or design documents, if available.
- Specify existing MOC or new MOC in progress.
- Which of the available benefits you are requesting and justification for the costs.
- Describe any workshop or presentation you are willing to give, including any potential subject matter or other details.
How to Apply
To Register for this year’s Special Exhibitor Program, first make sure you are on our mailing list for announcements and email the Board of Directors at bbtb-board-of-directors
A committee consisting of the BBTB Board of Directors will review the applications and vote to approve or reject applicants, and what benefits they can receive.
Bricks by the Bay will provide a budget for this program to cover the costs of the benefits (free registration, hotel rooms, expenses), which will be allocated to the applicants by the committee as appropriate.
Note: Even if not approved for free registration, hotel room, or reimbursement of expenses, all approved applicants will have access to the Convention Support Program (bulk brick and PBB ordering), subject to availability and program guidelines.